Friday, November 6, 2009

What kind of tree?

There's a tree in my front yard here in Bangkok, Thailand, that I just don't recognize. I love the airy look, but it has grown to be sort of scraggly over the past six months. I hope someone can tell me if I can prune it by cutting off higher branches to make it fuller below so I don't see so much of my wall.


See photos taken with my cell phone here - http://berkompas.com/tree-unknown1.jpg


and for a closer view - http://berkompas.com/tree-unknown2.jpg


(trumpet-like flowers are yellow and there is some sort of odd ball-like fruit growing, too)





Thanks for any tips.

What kind of tree?
Thanks for the good photos. Although I am not sure of the exact species of your tree, based on the growth habit, you can prune it back from the top and expect more shoots lower. Also, if you prune some of the side branches, that will also promote more buds to develope behind the cuts.
Reply:What you have is Thevetia peruviana. It is relative to a plant they call yellow Oleander(that would be Thevetia thevetiodes). In SoCal it is considered a large shrub really. It will get about 10 feet and likes mostly full sun.



beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment