Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I had good grass last year the soil is kind of sandy i didnt cut it after september as suggested?

now new grass is growing but only in patches,ive put weed killer on although the weeds only grow by the walls so why isnt it like it was this time last year what coud of changed?how can i fix it?i have flowers so dont want to lay a new lawn

I had good grass last year the soil is kind of sandy i didnt cut it after september as suggested?
Sometimes I get "thatch" build-up and my grass suffers until I rake it out and aerate the soil. Thatch is dead, matted and sometimes wet, musty grass clippings that build up over time. Insects (not all of them desirable) make a home in there, grubs and cut worms love wet places and you also set yourself up for bacterial problems and disease.





Some cover is good, too much or too wet and you might have problems. Sandy soil types shouldn't do this as much but it could happen. On the opposite end of the spectrum, is your area in a drought this year, could be the "what changed?"





I agree with the earlier post regarding weed %26amp; feed. I only use it when my lawn is really strong and healthy and I can water it afterwards, really well. (We have been on water rationing in Texas for years, so it's not easy when you can only water once a week for 3 hours!





So I would check for thatch build-up, mold or disease, cut-worms and make sure you aren't under or over watering and see if you find a fix!
Reply:Weed killer doesn't do the GRASS any good either. Only use it if the grass is growing strongly.


Poke the surface of the soil/grass about to make some holes in it and resow a strong growing type of grass seed. This will not make you a fine lawn but at least you'll have grass.


Also scatter a mixture of 50/50 compost and lawn sand all over.


keep it well watered and it will grow back - eventually!


RoyS



finance

No comments:

Post a Comment