Sunday, March 14, 2010

Will Mod Pogue adhere to painted canvas?

I currently live in a sad world of bare walls because I’m having trouble finding art that doesn’t cost more that I’m willing to spend so I’m trying to get creative. So if I bought a pre-stretched canvas, painted it all one color, cut out shapes from fabric, and attached them with Mod Pogue (decoupage compound), would they stay on?





While this isn’t the style I have in mind, this is my example: http://www.georginarambton.com/flowers.s... Instead of white background, I would have some color, and then cut the flowers out of fabric and attach them





Anyone know if this is possible? If not, do you have other suggestions to create such a project?

Will Mod Pogue adhere to painted canvas?
Mod Podge will stick to your canvas. Use acrylic paints, though, instead of oil, since it will take forever for the oils to dry enough to be Mod Podged over.





As long as your fabric appliques are laid flat on the canvas, they should stick. You may need to glue them down, then put on a layer or two of MP OVER them, especially if you're using a synthetic fabric. (I don't think MP will stick to vinyl, though, if you were considering using vinyl).





If you're doing 3-D flowers, MP will work to stiffen and shape the fabric, but you might want to use a heavier-duty glue to attach the flowers to the canvas. Any all-purpose contact cement should work fine.



beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment