Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How do I re-finish a decorative piece made from resin?

I am re-decorating a guest room in the shabby-chic, cottage look. Kind of in-between, really.





I bought a round plaque (wall decor) that looks like carved wood, but it is acutally made of resin. The outside rim has a soft fluted design, kind of like the edge of a piecrust. In the center of the plaque is a raised desgin of roses, flowers, and leaves.





The plaque is pure-white, but it has some dark, grayish highlights here and there to give it that distressed, "shabby" look.





I plan to use the plaque above my daybed, which has a curved back, higher in the center. On either side ot the round plaque, I want to place some plates or platters.





The problem? The plaque is pure white, and I want to use creamy ivory in the room. Ivory is the color used in the bedding, and I plan to re-do some furniture pieces in ivory as well.





What products do I use on the resin piece, and what color for the distressed accent look?





Thanks. I know the look I want, but I'm lost.

How do I re-finish a decorative piece made from resin?
First of all if the current finish isn't in badly degraded condition; other that the LOOk of it; don't bother to strip it. Some strippers might attack the substance of the resin.





KILZ; ZINZER; and other brands of Primers will do what you need to cover the initial finish. You can purchae them in spray cans. From there choose a decent spray paint in a color you want for the base. (Ivory) in this case.





Depending on your taste and other accents in the room; there are "rub on" glazes you can use in various colors; IE: Sienna/Gold/Umber/ If you want to stay in Earth tones; OR certainly you can use any other; that might happen to coordinate with; or accent any other dominant colors; or accent colors in the room.





You can use cheese cloth or other; wiping it on the piece; then gently wipe it off. What will happen is there will be accents left behind, in the glaze color; expecially in the molded/contoured areas, and you can wipe as liitle or as much OFF as suits you.





Steven Wolf
Reply:Spray paint will work on resin, but might not give you the look you want.



dental

No comments:

Post a Comment